It’s official, I’m obsessed with all things gyro! I absolutely love the explosion of flavors, especially the tzatziki. I remember the first gyro I ever had at a sandwich shop in college. The sandwich maker asked if I wanted to add the tzatziki, and I didn’t know what it was at the time. He explained that it’s a creamy sauce that you will either love or hate. Well, I loved it, needless to say. My husband loves tacos, so these tempeh gyro tacos with cucumber salsa were a success!
When I decided to swap out the pita for a tortilla so I could call this recipe a taco for my taco-loving husband, I decided I needed a salsa to top it with. Cucumber is usually grated into the tzatziki sauce, so I made it into a salsa instead! For it to be a salsa, I added tomato, garlic, and onion and found a new favorite summertime condiment!
Variations on the Tempeh Gyro Tacos with Cucumber Salsa recipe:
- Not everyone loves tempeh, like me, so try your favorite protein in this taco. I have used chickpeas with the marinade with amazing success as well!
Use a vegan yogurt alternative to make these tacos dairy-free. Try corn tortillas to make them gluten free.
Dried dill will also work in a pinch. Try 1 tsp in place of the fresh dill.
- 8 oz block tempeh, sliced
- Splash olive oil
- 6 6-in whole wheat tortillas
- ½ tsp oregano, rosemary, onion powder, and garlic powder, each
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika, salt and black pepper, each
- 1 TBS lemon juice, tomato paste, low sodium tamari sauce, and sesame oil, each
- 6 oz non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 TBS fresh dill, minced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt and black pepper, each
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Combine all ingredients for the tempeh marinade. Toss with tempeh slices and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the tzatziki sauce in a small bowl, and all ingredients for the cucumber salsa in another small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large skillet. Add tempeh slices to the skillet so that they all have contact with the skillet's surface. Cook in batches if necessary. Cook tempeh until golden brown and starting to crisp.
- To prepare tacos, spread about 1 TBS tzatziki sauce over each of the tortillas. Top with tempeh strips, cucumber salsa, and another drizzle of tzatziki. Serve.
Recipe adapted from my Tempeh Gyros with Cucumber Tzatziki recipe.
Please Pin if you liked this recipe!