These buffalo blue cheese vegetarian taquitos were created completely on a whim. Oftentimes I buy a few extra ingredients that aren’t on my grocery list at the store, simply because they are on sale. One night when I needed a quick weeknight meal, I riffled through the fridge and found some 6-inch tortillas, so I whipped up these taquitos . I had seen a vegan buffalo taquitos pin on pinterest and thought it looked like a fantastic idea, but I hadn’t even look at the recipe. As it turned out, my version is loaded with tangy blue cheese, as well as a healthy does of vegetables!
When making vegetarian buffalo flavored dishes, I always like to start with white ingredients so that the bright buffalo color really pops. In this taquitos recipe, I crossed two previously used ideas – my Beer Battered Buffalo Cauliflower, and my Buffalo Queso Dip. White beans and cauliflower make the filling for these taquitos, along with tangy blue cheese!
Variations to the Buffalo Blue Cheese Vegetarian Taquitos recipe:
- If you want to reduce the heat level, omit the cayenne pepper.
- This recipe can be made gluten free by using corn tortillas. However, I found corn tortillas to be a lot harder to work with than flour tortillas. If you chose corn tortillas, be sure to heat them well before filling and rolling.
- If you are not a fan of blue cheese, substitute with an equal amount of Mexican cheese blend. I found omitting it to make the taquitos dry.
- Try these taquitos with my Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing!
- 1½ cups cooked white beans (or 1 can rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup diced cauliflower
- ⅓ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ⅛-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you like it
- ¼ cup hot sauce, such as Franks Red Hot
- 8 small tortillas, whole wheat or corn (6 inch size)
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a large bowl, coarsely mash the white beans with fork and add the cauliflower. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute to soften the cauliflower. Stir in cheeses, cayenne to taste, and hot sauce.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about ¼ cup of buffalo filling onto the edge of a tortilla. Tuck the edge over and roll the tortilla tightly around the filling. Place seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Serve with blue cheese or ranch dipping sauce.
Inspired by Veggie Inspired and adapted from Naturally Ella. I shared this recipe at the Weekend Potluck, Tickle My Tastebuds, Tasty Tuesday, and the Sugar and Spice link up, Full Plate Thursdays, and This is How We Roll!