Chili is one of those recipes that you can make in a million (and a half) different ways. I love my chili recipe, and needed to update the recipe for my readers. This vegetarian slow cooker three bean chili is a classic recipe you’ll use again and again.
In this recipe, I use classic kidney beans, black beans, and refried beans. The refried beans act as a thickener and add a creamy texture that binds all other flavors.
The last time I made this recipe for family, they said – it tastes like it has meat, but I know it doesn’t. What did you do?
It’s all in the spices my friends. Cinnamon and cocoa powder added in small amounts add richness and depth of flavor that has your taste buds saying, what is that? It’s worth trying whether you’re a meatless eater or not!
Variations to the Vegetarian Slow Cooker Three Bean Chili recipe:
- Substitute your favorite hot and spicy pepper for the jalapeno. I have also used cayenne peppers with success.
- The point of three bean chili is to include different textures with the the different beans. That being said, try any bean you like, such as chickpeas, black eyed peas, or cranberry beans.
- I recommend serving this chili with cheddar and crackers. Any other toppings you like will be welcome as well. Try green onions, sour cream, avocado chunks, or radish slices!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 jalapenos, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups each: cooked black beans and kidney beans, or 2 cans (each) rinsed and drained
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 2 TBS chili powder
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup vegetarian refried beans
- Optional toppings: cheddar cheese, soup crackers
- Combine all ingredients except refried beans in a 6 qt slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir in refried beans.
- Serve wtih toppings.
Recipe adapted from my three bean chili recipe.