Hot dogs were one of my favorite foods to eat during the summer as a kid. My mom would always have them in the house by keeping a stock of frozen dogs. I didn’t even bother to heat them up!! Boy life is different now. Good different. Vegan grilled carrot dogs different. Seriously, these carrot dogs take me back to my childhood. I can gobble up a whole plate of them!
Are you planning on doing some grilling for Memorial Day weekend?? I sure am, and I know that these carrot dogs will be on the menu. In my house, we have a tradition. We grill out every Sunday night. Just. Because. It’s so fun to sit out on the patio, sip on a cold beverage, and smell the charcoal in the air. I am working on a new grilled sandwich for you guys!! Coming soon, but for now, you’ll have to enjoy these carrot dogs!
Variations to the Vegan Grilled Carrot Dogs recipe:
- DOUBLE IT!! Seriously, that’s how much you will enjoy this recipe.
- If you don’t have a grill, try baking them in the oven like this recipe.
- Go wild with toppings. Try this veggie chili for chili cheese dogs, load it up with pickles, or try guacamole. What are your favorite hot dog toppings??
- 4 medium carrots, scrubbed, not peeled
- 4 whole wheat hot dog buns
- Ketchup and mustard, for serving
- 2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBS reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce
- ½ tsp each: paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- ¼ tsp each: mustard powder, corriander
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- Pick carrots that are about 1 inch in diameter, and have as little taper as possible. The more uniform in size and shape, the better the carrots will cook.
- Place carrots in a steamer basket over water and bring to a boil. Steam covered for 12-15 minutes, based on the size of your carrots.
- Test carrots texture with a fork. The carrots should be soft enough to pierce, but not soft like a cooked carrot. They will need some texture to hold up on the grill, and not be a mushy dog. If they have too much texture, you will have crunchy dog. Add more or less cooking time based on your desired texture.
- Meanwhile mix together the marinade ingredients.
- Place steamed carrots in the marinade and toss to coat. Let rest for 4-8 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat and cook carrots until they get grill marks all around, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve in buns with ketchup and mustard.
Recipe adapted from Vegan Sandra. I shared this recipe at Full Plate Thursday, Weekend Potluck, and Fiesta Fridays.