Friends, I hope you didn’t over do it on the mashed potatoes and gravy over thanksgiving because I have a fantastic recipe for you. This five minute four ingredient homemade gravy is so savory, and can be adapted for many diets. It is made with broth or stock and can be made vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore! Whatever broth you use will be the type of gravy you will have. My mom always made gravy from drippings off a cut of meat, but there is not need for that with this recipe. You can still enjoy a homemade gravy without needing to roast a whole bird, which makes it great for serving to a small crowd, or serving vegetarian gravy that everyone will enjoy!
Did everyone have a wonderful thanksgiving break!? I got to spend some quality time with family. In all honesty, one of the many things I was thankful for this year was to have the time to do so! Life gets so busy, it’s important to spend time with people you love. Holidays like thanksgiving give us a great reason to do just that. I am also thankful the willingness of my family to partake in my diet choice during the holidays. I would be happy eating all sides if they wanted to roast up a big turkey, but we all enjoy eating as a family. Our new family tradition is to eat fresh caught trout for thanksgiving, recipe to come!
Tips and Tricks for the Five Minute Four Ingredient Homemade Gravy recipe:
- The type of stock or broth you use will determine the type of gravy. I make this with vegetable stock, but you can also use chicken, beef, or milk for a white gravy!
- Soy sauce seems like an odd ingredient for gravy but don’t skip it! It adds unami (a serious richness and depth of flavor) that makes a simple recipe like this really work.
- Half batch: I use 3 TBS olive oil and flour in a half batch with 1 cup stock and 1 TBS soy sauce if I only need a little gravy.
- Taste for salt. Broths and stocks will vary so be sure to taste test your gravy and add salt to taste. Full sodium soy sauce can be used as well if your stock is low salt.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups broth or stock of choice (I use vegetable)
- 2 TBS reduced sodium soy sauce or tamari
- In a skillet, mix together olive oil and flour until smooth. Place this over medium heat. Stir constantly and bring to a boil. Simmer stirring constantly for 1 minute. This allows the flour to cook so the gravy won't be paste-y.
- Slowly whisk in broth. It may form some lumps at first but keep whisking and it will smooth out.
- When smooth, whisk in soy sauce and remove from heat.