If you like spicy food, you have got to try these chipotle fish sliders with sriracha lime slaw! They have whole chipotle chilies blended into the fish patties, which is coated in corn tortilla chips.
The tortillas chips add nice texture, but better yet, they improve the flavor! The subtle sweetness from the corn compliments the chipotle. If you want to go an extra step with the sweet and spicy flavors, try sweet Hawaiian rolls!
When you try this recipe, you’ll be saying to yourself, I can’t believe this is a fish slider! There is so much flavor going on, and the texture is very different from a fish fillet.
The fish is ground in a food processor and bread crumbs and an egg are used as binders to hold everything together. The patties turn out much firmer this way!
Variations to the Chipotle Fish Sliders with Sriracha Lime Slaw recipe:
- If you want to turn down the heat in this recipe, try a tsp of dried chipotle powder in place of the canned chili.
- I always use trout as my fish of choice. They have a mild sweetness that compliments this dish. Salmon would be a great alternative, but really there is so much flavor, you can use any fish you like!
- Alternative to the slaw: Apply sriracha to the bun, and use lettuce for crunch!
- ~3 cups tortilla chips
- ½ cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large or 2 small chipotle peppers
- 1 lb fish of choice (I used trout)
- ½ tsp each: salt, pepper, cumin, paprika
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3-4 TBS canola oil, or other high heat oil
- 1 cup finely sliced red cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 TBS minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 12 whole wheat slider buns
- ¾ cup mayo
- Place tortilla chips in the food processor. Process until finely chopped (no pieces larger than a pea), you should have about 1 cup. Remove from processor and set aside.
- In the food processor, combine onion, garlic, and chipotles. Process until well chopped.
- Add the fish, salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. Pulse until no large chunks remain, and stop before it's a mushy pasty mess. You want some texture, but no large pieces (which is why I always pulse to keep a close eye on things!).
- Remove fish from food processor and fold in bread crumbs and egg. Divide into 12 portions.
- Heat half of the oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet (I prefer cast iron) over medium heat.
- Working with one portion of fish at a time, shape into a pattie and dredge in crushed tortilla chips. Place into the hot oil and continue until the pan is filled (6 patties fit into a 10 inch skillet).
- Cook until golden brown on each side and firm in the middle. Covering the pan will decrease cooking time.
- Repeat with remaining oil and fish.
- Meanwhile, Combine all ingredients for the slaw.
- Toast buns in a skillet until golden brown on the cut side.
- Smear one side of each bun with 1 TBS mayo. Top with a fish slider, 2 TBS slaw, and the bun top.
This recipe was adapted from my Trout Sliders post. I shared this post at Fiesta Friday, and The Weekend Potluck.