Eggs act as a binder to hold the veggies together, and add a little protein. The gluten free crust is made with olive oil and almond meal, so it adds a little more protein as well.
I posted this recipe long ago, but decided to re-post because I have made changes to the way I make the pie. I started using almond meal for the crust to add more protein, and it makes it gluten free as well.
Also, I opted for a better melting cheese, cheddar, instead of the gouda I used before. I increase the amount of onion as well, to increase the savory flavors!
Variations to the Butternut Squash Spinach Pie with an Almond Crust recipe:
- Use whatever veggies you have on hand. I can think of endless combinations that would be delicious!
- If you can’t find the smoked white cheddar, try a sharp cheddar instead.
- Add more herbs! I added basil to the crust, and it would also be delicious in the pie. Parsley or oregano would be great too!
- 1½ cups almond meal/flour
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp each: baking powder, salt, and black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 TBS cold water
- butter, for the pan
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 TBS olive oil, divided
- 1 cup red onion
- 1 cup frozen cut leaf spinach
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 3 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded smoked white cheddar, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine almond flour, basil, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together olive oil and cold water. Pour this into the almond flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Butter or grease a 9 inch pie pan. Press the almond flour mixture into the pan and about 1 inch up the sides.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Toss butternut squash with 2 tsp olive oil. Spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast in the 400 F oven for 25 minutes, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, saute onion in remaining 1 tsp olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and garlic and cook until the spinach is thawed. Mix in salt, pepper, and balsamic. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the spinach mixture, butternut squash, Parmesan, eggs, and ½ cup smoked cheddar. Spoon into the pie crust. Top with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Cut into 8 slices for serving.
Adapted from my Butternut Gouda Pie recipe.