Simple pasta meals like bolognase were common when I was a kid. Mom could whip them up in hurry, and everyone would eat them! Some vegan versions of meat based foods are just not the same. This recipe is no different. It’s not the same, I think it’s better! Rich mushrooms and healthy proteins from lentils make this vegan mushroom lentil bolognase a pasta dish you’ll want to serve again and again!
I decided to sprinkle a little Parmesan over my pasta and sauce, but you could easily leave it off to keep this meal vegan. Serve the bolognase sauce over whole wheat or brown rice pasta noodles for added fiber and protein that will help keep you full longer. This sauce is also delicious with garlic bread. I could pile it on top of the garlic bread and skip the pasta all together, so good!
Variations to the Vegan Mushroom Lentil Bolognase recipe:
- I have trouble finding a 15 oz can crushed tomatoes sometimes. You could double the recipe and use a 28 oz can, or you can pulse a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes in a blender until you reach your desired consistency.
- Use vegetable broth or stock if you don’t have any white wine on hand.
- You could use 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning in place of the oregano, basil, and thyme.
- Double the recipe and freeze extra sauce in individual servings for easy defrosting to make a quick meal.
- ⅓ cup lentils
- Splash olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz portabella mushrooms, diced finely or ground
- ½ tsp black pepper, oregano, thyme, and basil each
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 TBS tamari or soy sauce
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 6-8 ounces dry spaghetti noodles, cooked, for serving
- In a blender, pulse dry lentils until chopped up. Rinse the lentils using a fine mesh colander.
- In a small dutch oven, cook the onion in a splash of olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms release their liquid. Sprinkle with pepper, oregano, thyme, basil, and salt.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine.
- Stir in tamari or soy sauce, balsamic, crushed tomatoes, water and pulsed lentils. Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes stirring more and more as time goes. Taste the sauce and add more seasoning and water to thin if necessary.
- Serve bolognase over 6-8 ounces dry, cooked whole wheat or brown rice spaghetti.
This recipe was adapted from my mom’s beef bolognase sauce, and inspired by Vanilla and Bean. I shared this recipe at the Weekend Potluck, Sugar and Spice Link Up, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Plant Based Potluck, and Meat Free Link Up.