Have you started making plans for the total solar eclipse yet? I am lucky enough to live in southern Illinois, the only place in the world to experience totality (the greatest duration)! It is so exciting to watch the hustle and bustle of town preparing for 50,000 (+) tourists interested in seeing this spectacular event on August 21st. I decided to bring the eclipse to my blog by making eclipse themed food, and finding a local giveaway for my readers! My total solar eclipse tostadas recipe has a dark moon (refried black beans) over the sun (tomato and corn salsa). For the giveaway, you have the chance to win a southern Illinois total solar eclipse t-shirt and eclipse viewing glasses (See photos and contest entry below)!
If you don’t happen to be the one lucky winner of the southern Illinois total solar eclipse t-shirt and eclipse viewing glasses (pictured above), I recommend checking out these other options. This long sleeve shirt was developed by a southern Illinois artist from Makanda, or this shirt has the official Southern Illinois University logo. I also dig this shirt with the state of Illinois in the logo. Also, don’t forget your Solar Eclipse Glasses to protect your eyes from the sun! To enter the giveaway, see the raffle copter link at the end of this post, along with the terms and conditions.
Variations to the Total Solar Eclipse Tostadas recipe:
- If you want to make the salsa spicy, try swapping a red jalapeno for the sweet red banana pepper.
- Instead of decorating individual tostadas, consider decorating the top of a tortilla pie, and loading the center of the pie with any veggies you like.
- Onion would be a great addition to the salsa. I would probably try a sweet onion.
- Taste your canned refried black beans and season accordingly. I added a little salt and olive oil to mine, but flavors will vary by brand.
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced tomato (from 1 large tomato, or 3 small)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red jalapeno, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 TBS milk of choice (I used soy milk)
- 1 cup refried black beans (from a can)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place tortillas on a baking sheet so that they are not touching, do batches if necessary. Cook in the preheated oven for 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes or until crispy. Cooking time will vary based on your oven and the freshness of the tortilla.
- When the tostadas are hot, sprinkle 1 TBS cheddar cheese over the top to melt. (Place the tostadas back in the oven for 1-2 minutes to accelerate melting) Once melted, spread 1 TBS sour cream over top.
- Mix together tomato through salt. Divide the tomato corn salsa among the tostadas, pressing into the sour cream to make it stick.
- Mix refried black beans with milk of choice. This will make it thin enough to easily spread over the salsa.
- Dollop 3-4 TBS refried black beans into the center as the dark moon. Carefully spread into a circle, leaving a bright tomato corn salsa border. Serve immediately.
This recipe was shared at Wine’d Down Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday, Welcome Home Wednesday, This is How We Roll, Full Plate Thursday, and Weekend Potluck, Fiesta Fridays, and the Healthy Living Link Party!
Giveaway Terms and Conditions
- Open to residents of the U.S. only and runs until midnight on Sunday July 9th.
- No cash alternative and the prize is not transferable.
- The winner will be picked at random and contacted by email on Monday July 10th to be given their choice of adult t-shirt size.
- The winner will have 48 hours to respond, or another winner will be chosen at random.
- Entrants must be over 18 years old.
- Alison’s Allspice, as the promoter, reserves the right to cancel or amend the giveaway and these terms and conditions without notice.
- Find the Rafflecopter giveaway here!! Good luck!
This post contains affiliate links for products I use and recommend. If you purchase through those links, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Alison’s Allspice.