I love pasta, maybe a little too much. It’s one of those foods that I could just eat all day! There are so many fun ways to prepare it, and it goes with everything. Everything! I don’t know why it took me this long to try a one-pot pasta dish. One pot dishes are always helpful and handy when life is crazy. And when life is crazy, you need a comforting delicious meal to help you focus on the important things. This lemony garlic kale one pot pasta is fresh and light, eat a little, or eat a lot!
I find that one pot pastas are best when eaten fresh. Because you don’t strain out the pasta water, all the starches make the pasta stick together as leftovers. I made this recipe to only serve 2, and I made it in a small dutch oven (I love the lodge brand!). Is anyone else obsessed with their wooden spoon collection!? I love them to protect the enamel coating on my dutch ovens, and I really do have a collection going! I dream about re-doing my kitchen, and these cherry spoons will fit right in!
Variations to the Lemony Garlic Kale One Pot Pasta recipe:
- If you’re not a fan of kale, try another leafy green in this dish. Spinach or Swiss chard would be good choices.
- Skip the Parmesan to keep this recipe dairy- free and vegan.
- I used thin spaghetti to make this dish cook really fast! If you try a thicker pasta, boil for 2/3 of the pasta’s cooking time. It doesn’t need full boiling time because it has been sitting in and soaking up liquid while waiting to come to a boil.
- 6 oz whole wheat thin spaghetti
- 2 cups packed kale, from 1 extra large leaf, or 2 small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup yellow onion, diced
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- pinch red pepper flake
- 1¾ cups vegetable broth
- juice of 1 lemon
- Parmesan, for serving (optional)
- In a medium pot combine spaghetti through vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 minutes (or ⅔ of the original cooking time).
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Garnish with more cracked black pepper and serve with parmesan if using.
Recipe inspired by V Nutrition. If you are crazy in love with kale, like me, check out this post on the health benefits of kale. The article is unique because it links back to scientific articles that have actual evidence for all the benefits of kale!